Also known as rutoside and quercetin-3-O-rutinoside, rutin is a flavonoid with ability to scavenge free radicals and reduce inflammation.
Rutin is found in citrus fruits, berries (especially mulberry and cranberry), buckwheat, and asparagus.
Potential Health Benefits of Rutin:
- Helps strengthen the walls of the arteries.
- Useful in capillary fragility.
- May reduce pain and cramps in dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation).
- Helps lower intraocular pressure in glaucoma.
- Reduces risk of diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy.
- Shows blood thinning effect by inhibiting platelet aggregation.
- Useful in varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
The usual dose of rutin is 100 – 1000 mg per day. It is best taken with foods for an optimal absorption.