Cordyceps sinensis is a type of Chinese mushroom famous as “caterpillar cfungus”. This herb has been traditionally used as an aphrodisiac. The active ingredients in cordyceps sinensis are cordycepin, adenosine, ophiocordin, cordypyridones, sterols, alkenoic acid, bioxanthracenes, and polysaccharadies.
Athletic Benefits of Cordyceps Sinensis:
- Improves athletic performance.
- Increases oxygen uptake.
- Delays fatigue and exhaustion time.
- May help protect against overtraining syndrome.
- Improves endurance.
- Enhances stamina.
- May increase testosterone level.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Cordyceps Sinensis:
Cordyceps sinensis may be beneficial in the following conditions:
- Low sex drive.
- Chronic active hepatitis.
- Kidney disease.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Liver disease.
- Recovery from a chronic illness.
The recommended dose of cordyceps sinensis is 3 – 7 grams a day. It should be taken on an empty stomach as an adaptogen and 30 – 60 minutes before exercise or competition as a sport – performance enhancer.