Known also as “beet sugar”, betaine is a sweet-tasting alkaloid that acts as a methyl donor in the body. Betaine is not a pigment.
Vegetables: beets, spinach, and sweet potatoes.
- Functions along with vitamins B12, B9 and B6 to lower homocysteine level.
- May be used in inherited homocystinuria.
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- May have a protective effect against deposition of fats in the liver (fatty liver).
- Acts as a liver detoxifier.
- Is used as the food supplement, betaine hydrochloride, to increase stomach acid level in people with a stomach acid deficiency.