Astaxanthin is a carotenoid and one of the most potent antioxidants, being 500 times stronger than vitamin E and 6000 times stronger than vitamin C. Reddish color of salmon, crab, krill and lobster results from astaxanthin.
Athletic Benefits of Astaxanthin:
- Protects muscles from oxidative damage caused by exercise.
- May improve blood flow to the muscles by increasing production of NO (nitric oxide).
- Promotes fatty acid utilization versus glucose metabolism for ATP production.
- Supports muscle recovery from strenuous exercises.
- May improve athletic endurance.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Astaxanthin:
See “Astaxanthin” under the section of “Antioxidants”.
Athletes need higher doses of astaxanthin, 10 – 20 mg per day. It shows better results if combined with L – Carnitine and MCTs (Medium-Chain Triglycerides).