Ashwagandha is also known as Indian ginseng, ginseng of ayurvedic medicine, and winter cherry. It belongs to pepper family and its main active ingredients are cuscohygrine, tropine, and withanolides especially withaferin A.
Athletic Benefits of Ashwagandha:
- Improves stamina.
- Delays fatigue and exhaustion.
- Reduces risk of overtraining syndrome.
- Helps athletes recuperate faster from an intense exercise.
- Increases athletic endurance.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Ashwangandha:
- Increases immune function.
- Helps cope with stressors easily and may lower cortisol level.
- May enhance memory.
- May help reduce pain in osteoarthritis.
- Helps boost sexual drive.
- Useful in chronic fatigue syndrome.
Dosage and Side Effects:
Ashwagandha is usually blended with other adaptogens. However, it is available in single formulation as well. Ashwagandha can be taken as dried root, 3 – 6 grams a day, capsules 1000 – 1500 mg a day, or tincture 5 – 10 ml a day. It may cause gastrointestinal upset in some consumers.